December 12, 2015

{ #blogmas Day 12: Santa Claus is Coming to Town!}

This has been a topic of conversation for the girls in my mommy group on Facebook. So I thought I'd ask you all the question also. Let you weigh in.

Do your kids still believe in Santa?

The short answer for me is No and Yes.

I have three kids. Of course the two teenagers know the truth. Gaige just sort of stopped believing a couple years ago. I'm not sure what made him stop believing, but he did. One day he just said Mom, I know you and dad buy the presents. I tried to tell him he was wrong but that kid is just too smart for his own good sometimes. He still likes Christmas, he plays along for Owens sake. He talks about Santa and tries to help me keep Owen believing.


Dawn stopped believing a couple years ago too. The last year she believed was the one that she got a real letter from Santa. She told Owen there was no Santa, and I was pissed. That was the last year she believed for some reason. Maybe because she had to earn her way back on to the nice list? I don't know. I just know that was the last year she believed. Then again, she is 13 so it's not surprising that she stopped believing.

Owen is eight, so naturally he still believes. All his little friends at school still believe too, which helps matters quite a bit. When I say he believes I mean he really believes. If he's being annoying and I say That's it! I'm calling Santa!! He freaks out and says he'll be good. He loves to watch Christmas movies and do all the Christmas things that make Christmas magic.

All of this leads to another question...When did you stop believing in Santa?

I honestly have no idea when I stopped believing. I do remember when I first started to ask questions though. I was about seven or eight and my grandpa (pawpaw) was sitting at the kitchen table paying bills. I walked in the room and said Pawpaw...Is Santa real? He asked me if I thought he was real..I said I didn't know that's why I asked him lol. He wouldn't give me a straight answer.

That Christmas though, I was laying in my bed listening for Santa (just in case he was real) and I heard his sleigh bells in the living room. I didn't get up or anything, I stayed put. And as I laid there a little longer I heard, what I swear to this day, was someone on the roof! I don't know if that was real or in my imagination. What I do know is that I wouldn't have put it past my grandpa to do something like that. I probably believed another year or two and then gave up on it.

I have to say that once I stopped believing..and my mom found out about it, the magic was gone from Christmas. She started taking me Christmas shopping with her, and buying me things I liked but told me I couldn't have them until Christmas. She did the same with Easter. Hell, maybe she told me he wasn't real? I don't remember. But I know it wasn't quite as much fun.

So when Gaige was born I wanted to make sure he believed as long as possible.

You know what I found out though, there are some families that choose not to do Santa for their kids! This shocks me. How can they take the most magical part of the season and decide they don't want to share that with their kids? I just don't understand.

Do you tell your kids there's a Santa? How far do you go to make sure your kids keep believing? How do you handle the Is he real question?

post signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment