October 11, 2017

{I'm a Quiter | Working Retail Sucks!}



I'm not going to lie folks, I was never too excited about going back to working retail. I hated it when I was a teenager, I hated it when I worked at Wal-Mart and K-Mart. I hated working at the gas station I worked at in 20's. I hate it. People are rude, and look at you like you're stupid if you don't know what the hell the register is doing.

And lets be honest, half the time, the register doesn't know what it's doing either. You just have to hope you can figure it out in a timely manner so you don't have to call over a manager.

But lord help you if you actually do need help in some form. They act like it's going to kill them to wait five minutes.

I'm not going to say I've never been annoyed with a long line when I'm trying to get out of a store. Who hasn't? But you don't need to be rude. You certainly don't need to be rolling your eyes and looking at the other people in line like you're so inconvenienced. You're shopping at a Dollar Store. I don't think waiting five minutes while the manager teaches the cashier how to properly take care of the transaction, is going to kill you. The package of socks and a bag of candy are not life or death important. So settle down.

But, because I need a job. I need something to give me my own money. I need a life outside of this house. I need to be around people instead of sitting at home all the time doing nothing. I'm to the point in my parenting life where my kids don't need me as much. I think I explained this in this post. So I took the job when the manager called me because I thought it'd be good for me.

It is not. I don't like being looked down on because I work a certain job. I have never treated someone in the retail field that way and I expect for people to treat me the way I treat them.

So I quit.

Not without another job of course. Because I'm someone who preaches don't quit a job without having another lined up, so I also applied at the place my sister works. I have my pre-employment stuff to go through, but I have the job as long as everything checks out.

Where will I be working? A rest home/nursing home/assisted living home, in the laundry room. It's better money, better hours, and better people.

My grandparents and I at my high school graduation.
 
And as D put it old people are your bread and butter. You love them. Which I thought was hilarious, but also kind of true. I enjoy elderly people. They don't bullshit you. They also don't give a crap about pretty much anything lol. I love the stories they tell. I think because I was raised by my grandparents, I'm respectful of their age. I think ours is the only culture where the old are not as respected as they should be. They deserve to be listened to, just like kids. They've lived a whole life and often have amazing advice for the young. But the young refuse to listen to them because they think they're old and crazy. Not the case. I wish I would have listened to my grandpa more when he was alive. I learned so much from him.

But anyway, that's what's happening right now. Hopefully this new job works out. :)


-Kristin

0 comments:

Post a Comment