August 22, 2016

{Took Gaige to the Doctor Today}

As most of you probably know, Gaige struggles in school. He's so much like his mother it's sad. I passed this crap on to my kid and it kills me every single time I have a meeting with his teachers. Although since getting his IEP (Individual Learning Plan) set up he has made great strides in catching up to his classmates, he is still behind. Especially in reading. He has awful handwriting and he can't spell even the most common words correctly. I know it frustrates him when he's at school and his teacher is having him rewrite things because his handwriting is so awful, and I know he hates being pulled out of class to have tests read to him because he just can't do it on his own.



Kindergarten

We've had him on medicine in the past but it just didn't work. It left him tired and he lost his appetite. He hated taking it too because he felt that way. We eventually tried another medicine but that didn't seem to work either, so we took him off of them. Which meant that he was going to struggle just as much as before we put him on them.

This year though, going into 7th grade (two years behind Dawn even though they're only six months apart in age), I wanted to give him the best chance at being successful. If I can get his focus under control this year, then maybe he will be more successful in high school. I'm also hoping this will help him with his attitude.

Second Grade

It's friggin' atrocious! He gets frustrated so fast because he can't do something and then he lashes out and just shuts down. Then everyone else gets pissed off because he's being disrespectful beyond belief.

So that's what I did today, I took him to the doctor to see if he would put him on meds again. He asked him questions and me questions and determined from them that not only does gave have adhd but he is also dyslexic. I had no idea. None. The doctor said that he would just keep doing what we're doing for his IEP and get him on the meds and hopefully that should straighten things out. So *fingers crossed*


-Kristin

0 comments:

Post a Comment