February 3, 2013

{A letter to my daughter}

Dear Drama Queen,

Although I did not birth you and came into your life when you were barely 2 years old, I feel as though the last 8 years of wiping your nose/face/butt/hands/ect. have given me the right to call myself your mother. And as your mother I would like to give you some sound advice as you navigate your preteen years. Which, by the way, have come on far too fast and I am not ready to acknowledge them. I may or may not insist you stay 10. I do not know. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it :).

Now, there are things that a young lady, such as yourself, should know about the world. And as your mother I feel it's my duty to give you the information to present yourself in the right light to not only boys but to other human beings. So I have compiled a list of not really rules, just advices. Here we go.

1. Real friends will tell you to your face what others say behind your back. And they'll set a rumor straight in a heart beat.

2. If a boy doesn't call, forget him. He's not worth your time.

3. If you have a gut feeling something isn't right, listen to it. Chances are you're right.

4. When it comes to make-up, less is always more. No need to walk around looking like an '80's reject. Put down the purple eye shadow.

5. You can have more than 1 best friend at a time.

6. At some point, you're going to get heart broken. Weather it's by a boy or by a friend or both, it'll be OK.

7. Never let someone make you feel like you're worth less than you are. Ever.

8. There is more to life than having a boyfriend. They're not always all they're cracked up to be.

9. Come to me with any problem or question you might have about anything. It's my job. And if I can't answer it, we can call your grandmother. Chances are she can :).

10. A rule of thumb for fashion is simple, leave a little something to imagination. No one thinks muffin tops, back rolls, and lumpy thighs are attractive. Dress for your body type, not the type of body you want.

11. Be happy, and if you're not happy, make a change. You are the only one who can control where your life takes you. Make the right choices.

12. Be polite. We taught you your manners, and I would hope that you use them in your every day life.

13. Even when you don't feel like you should, hold your head up.

14. Don't do something just because your friends are doing it. You're not a sheep. Be your own person.

15. Dropping F-bombs in the middle of walmart, does not make you look like an adult. It makes people want to wash your mouth out with soap.

16. Never 'expect' someone to do something for you or give you something. That makes you a spoiled brat. And I did not raise you to be that way.

17. Be grateful for everything you have. There are far more people who have a whole lot less.

18. You do not chase boys, boys chase you. Let them work for it. If they want to spend time with you bad enough, they'll let you know.

19. Never blow off plans with your girlfriends because a boy asks you out. Your friendships will be there long after that boy moves on to another girl. If he's worth your time, he'll understand this.

20. Be a Hepburn in a Hilton world. Class is far more appealing than trash, no matter what the media says.

So there you go Drama Queen. Just a few things I thought you should know.

Love,
Mom.

2 comments: