December 17, 2018

{New Job Who Dis?}

You guys...

I got a new job!!



For those of you that don't know, for the last year I've been working in a nursing home laundry room. I get paid under $10/hr to wash, dry, fold, and deliver resident clothing an linen through out an Apostolic Christian nursing home. Said nursing home houses about 200 residents, all with varying degrees of dementia. 

For this past year I have had my ups and downs with this job. It was rough getting used to working outside the home, I will freely admit that. Not to mention, I was about 25lb heavier when I got the job. It was a struggle. That together with the horrible experience I had with the old lead of the laundry department, I thought about quitting probably 100 times. 

Actually, I did quit. I put in my two weeks notice about six months after I got the job, having had enough. But as it turned out, I didn't quit. They chose to keep me and get rid of her. 

And here we are. 

A little over a month ago there was a job posted on the bulletin board at work. It was for an assistant to the HR director. I read the description of the job. I talked to Dave about it. I didn't apply. Not at first. Honestly I was pretty positive that I wouldn't get the job even if I did apply. I was sure that something would happen I'd be turned down. And when I told Dave this, he said well if you don't apply, you damn sure won't get it. And so I went in the very next day and filled out an application.


I didn't tell anyone I had applied. Not even my sister. At first I didn't know how to say anything. My sister knew I was becoming increasingly unhappy at my current job and she knew I was putting in applications all over my town, but I'm sure she didn't think I would apply for a job within my current employer. But I did. 

After my sister found out she told me that HR would probably not hire from within for this job. That it was just a policy to post the job for the first week. Basically assuring me that I had little to no chance of getting the job. Then when she found out that HR would be hiring from within she told me that they would most likely go with a guy who had actually gone to school for a job in this field. Once again, I figured I had no shot. 

My interview went well. But I still wasn't hopeful. I figured after my sister told me that the guy who actually had a degree in this field had applied, that there was no way I would get it. None. 

And then a few days later, HR calls me into her office to offer me the job! I could not believe it! 

She said I'd start in 4-6 weeks. I would be getting a raise, and the best part? No weekends! 


This all happened a little over a month ago. I went in to talk with HR about when I would get to switch as we haven't had but one or two interviews for my job and it seems as if my sister is behaving towards me the way she did with the other girls she didn't want around anymore. I'd much rather get this show on the road. Ya know? 

She told me that she's still shooting for the first week of January. I've got my fingers crossed that that works out. My sister is convinced that if they don't find someone she deems suitable in that time frame, then I just have to stay. I've been assured that getting me out of there, is her top priority and she can't wait to have the help again! Especially since her current assistant is gone after this week (which is now over). 

I'm nervous about this job, I'm not going to lie. I've never had a job like this before. I've worked retail, I've been in laundry room, but I've never worked phone lines or had to make calls to potential employees. I've never had to worry about someone else's schedule. As nervous as I am though, I am also so so excited!

No more scrubs. No more five in the morning wake ups or three am on the weekends. No more poop. I just can't wait!!

Ahh!!

-Kristin

0 comments:

Post a Comment