April 14, 2014

{Parenting a Teenager...Sucks!}

A few days before Cassie moved in with us, we got her report card in the mail. She was basically failing everything except a couple classes. I was kind of shocked by this because her mom has been telling us since day one that she is this amazing student and that she has always been on the honor roll, that she is on the fast track to becoming a veterinarian (which she has wanted to be since she was little I guess).

Well, a few days later we got the call and all the drama happened and now she's living with us. She's still grounded because we didn't want her to think that just because she was living here now that she was off the hook for her crappy decisions. I let her use my old Galaxy S3 when she started school so that I could make sure she was in fact going to school lol. And because I figured I would be nice. She was already starting a new school, I didn't want her to be completely alone and without friends to talk to and such.

Apparently that was a bad decision on my part.

Upon gaining access to her skyward account (a website parents/schools use so parent can see what's going on without depending on the kid to tell them)...I found that she was already not turning in assignments. *Sigh* Seems to be the popular thing to do (Dawn does it also).

I got on to her about it because I didn't want her to fall behind and end up screwing up her chances at graduating or something like that. It clearly didn't do anything.

As of today she has 13 missing assignments. Most of them are in American History and Government.

Some of her grades have actually gone down from when she started. It's frustrating for me because I know she can do better than this.

I asked her today about her homework (that she told me she had) and she claims she no longer has to do them because she didn't get the permission slip she was supposed to turn in or something. She has to do an alternative assignment for that, she still hasn't done the alternative assignment she was supposed to do from when she missed a class on the 19th of March (appt). When I asked her about that she says she doesn't know who to ask...but it's pretty clear that there's a teacher for the class lol.

I'm pretty fed up with the excuses from an (almost) 17 year old, so I told her not to get all pissy and ask why and beg and plead on the 16th when I take her phone because her grades aren't any better. At which point she sat down at my laptop and threw together a project in an hour that she had 5 days to complete.

I have a feeling that she is going to super pissed when I take that phone and she's gonna be stomping around like a 2 year old (which is what happened the last time I took her phone).

My question to you is this: When do you stop getting on to them about grades and school work? Do you keep doing it through high school? Do you eventually just decide that they're old enough to handle it on their own, and if they don't they deal with the consequences? What's the answer here?

0 comments:

Post a Comment