May 20, 2013

{I'd go Anywhere For Youuu}

When I was 7 I had an obsession with New Kids on the Block. For my birthday that year my grandma (my dads mom) bought me 2 tickets to their concert at the Civic Center. I went with my other grandmother (my moms mom). It was my first experience with that large of a crowd. I still remember the excitement of getting ready, standing in line waiting for our chance to walk through the doors. I remember the energy surrounding me as we took our seats and waited for the show to start. I even remember thinking, "those are not the 5 hardest working guys in showbiz" as the announcer introduced some obscure boy group as an opening act. I could feel the bass under my feet and all through my body. It was an amazingly unforgettable night. And so began my love affair with a live show and more importantly...Boy Bands.

Standing outside about to leave for the concert.

I was heartbroken when in '94 (that would have made me 11 by the way) NKOTB broke up. I just could not handle it. I ripped up my concert tickets. Why? I have no friggin' idea lol. I guess I was just an emotional kid. 
It was a few years later before I found another band to obsess over. 98*. Which never really felt right to me. I didn't get the butterflies like I did with NKOTB (even at that age). So when I was sitting up late one night in '97 watching MTV (and no doubt writing something as I usually was), I heard Quit Playing Games (with my heart) for the first time. I had gotten up to go to the bathroom and as I entered the living room again, I heard the most amazing voice. I sat there cross legged on the floor in front of the TV, hanging on every word. I had to know who these 5 guys were. I was then on a mission to track down the name of the group that had so captured my attention. Since there was no internet then I had to just wait and see if I could catch another video at some other time. I finally did. BACKSTREET BOYS. And it began there.

I was immediately in love. I couldn't help myself. I loved everything about them. As the years went on I developed quite a collection of memorabilia. Posters (that covered the walls of my room), pictures I printed out or cut from magazines, CD's, a couple tapes, and anything else that had their name on it. I wanted it all. I began asking for only BSB merchandise for Christmas/Birthdays and I got it. I was covered in Backstreet Boys and that's the way I liked it ;). My mother swore up and down that once I saw them in concert I would stop liking them so much. That the thrill of them would die and I'd move on to someone else.

I went to my first backstreet boys concert in the summer of '98 (August 1st to be exact and that made me 15). I had nose bleed seats but I loved every single second of it. I still remember everything about it, to this day. It was so much fun!! I screamed and cried and jumped up and down. By the time my mother, my cousins girlfriend, my best friend, and myself left the venue I was hoarse, all but losing my voice to the excited squeals.

Much to my mother surprise, my love/obsession not only grew but they were my world. I could not help myself. I loved everything about them. They are what got me through some of the more trying times in my life. Them and their music. I could listen to them and escape whatever was going on at the time. They were my calm, my constant, something to focus on when other things just were not right in my life.

I continued to love them. In '00 they were going on tour again, this time for Millennium. I had to go. And when the radio station announced they were doing a bus tour to get there, I saved my pennies and bought 2 tickets. Along with this came food and a movie. The experience of the bus ride was none too exciting but I didn't let the crappy experience of that over shadow the excitement of the show. I took my other cousins girl friend with me that time. 

Standing outside the bus waiting to get on (Millennium).

My tickets for both Millennium and Black & Blue Tours. Plus my boarding pass to get on the bus.
 
Post concert...excuse the horrible hair and awful angle lol.
 
For the Black & Blue tour in '01 my grandparents took me all the way to Pontiac Michigan. Yeah. Spoiled. I know lol. That's 12 hours round trip. I took my friend with me that time.
Of course I didn't just stop there. In '02 (shortly after I had G) I went to Chicago with my cousin and grandparents to see Nick Carter at the Hard Rock. I went to the HOI Fair to see Nick too. I took my sister to see Aaron Carter on Valentines Day in '01 at the Civic Center. I am a devoted fan :).

And on August 2nd, 2013 I will once again be making a journey to Chicago to watch my boys. Thanks to my awesome husband!! :)


I think it's kind of crazy how when I first started going to concerts you had to call and order your tickets and wait for them to be mailed to you. I printed these out 2min. after I bought them. Decent seats and I'm sooooo excited!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment