October 1, 2018

{How My Husband Won Me Over}

For those that don't know, the husband and I have been together for fifteen years. How that even happened, I don't know. At this point we have been together pretty much all of my adult life.

Shocking.

I'm aware.

I have actually gotten the question what made you choose him? before. I'm not sure who asked. I don't care. I thought it'd make a good blog post lol.

I'm just going to say this right off the bat, when he and I met, neither of us were looking for a relationship.

He had just ended his marriage (not yet divorced but no longer living together and begun the process) and I had just ended a "relationship" that left me kind of jaded and pissed off.

So neither of us were trying to find out soul mate, we just wanted someone to hang out with.

So the fact that we ended up married must have been fate.

So how did I know that he was supposed to be the person I'd spend the rest of my life with?

Well, there were signs lol.

What really got me though was how willing he was to include Gaige.

At the time I was living with my grandparents and they were my main babysitters. If I wasn't with Gaige, they were. I hadn't really had him around the guy I was dating before Dave too much. I'm not sure why, I just didn't feel comfortable with that for some reason. Anyway, the moment I knew that I could see myself with Dave was a night when I didn't have a sitter.

He and I had made plans to go to the movies and to dinner. But my grandma wasn't home when he got to the house to pick me up and I'm not sure what was happening but she wasn't going to be home for a while. I told him that maybe we should just cancel and get together some other time.

I fully expected him to agree. I figured he would be pissed that I had made plans with him without having a back up sitter. Honestly I figured that he would probably not bother seeing me again because I was a single mom and couldn't just up and leave at the drop of a hat.

But, y'all...he didn't. He wasn't mad. He just said screw it. Lets go get Dawn from my grandma and we'll just make a family date.

Heart. Melted.

So that's what we did. We went and picked up Dawn from his grandmas house and took them to the park and to dinner. A couple hours later I got a call from my grandma saying she was home and we were able to take him back home and go out just the two of us.

Unless you're a single mom who has been dating a ton of losers, you don't know how special it actually is to find a guy willing to do that for you. Willing to include your kid in something when you'd already made plans for alone time with them.

We had plenty more nights like this, and eventually I just started taking Gaige with me to his house. But it was nice to know that he could include him like that.

Look for a man that wants to be a family. Not one that just wants to spend time with you alone. A mother is a package deal..unless you're OK with ditching your kid with a sitter because your dude doesn't want to deal with them.

But then, what kind of mother does that anyway?


-Kristin

0 comments:

Post a Comment