June 1, 2018

{I Caught Her with ANOTHER Phone}

I'm not sure what to do with Dawn anymore. She just keeps doing the same things over and over to get in trouble. She's not learning from any of the consequences we give her. She just insists that she's never going to change and we need to stop asking her to behave because she won't. She's gone further this time though...and I've decided that this is something someone with more authority needs to handle.

A few days ago was the last day of school. Dawn came home like normal, did her chores like normal (half assed) and then disappeared into her room, pretty normal.

A few hours later I realized I hadn't seen her since she got her chores done. On a normal day she is up and down the stairs fifty times (at least) getting food/drinks, telling us random stories, complaining that someone is bothering her, giving us updates on what the cat is doing. My point is that we see her often.

Unless she's doing something she's not supposed to.

So when I realized I hadn't seen her in a while, I went upstairs to see what she was up to. To be honest I fully intended to see her reading or sleeping (also normal). But no. That was not the case. As I rounded the corner to her room I saw that she had a device in her hand, when she saw me she hid it under her comforter. I immediately confiscated it. At first I thought it was her phone, same color and model, but no case. I thought she swapped phones (we have two of the same phone laying around as back ups), and had put her case on the one we don't use to make it look like it was on the kitchen table where it belongs (she is not to have her phone in her room). When I asked her if that's what she had done, she said no. Upon closer inspection, I discovered she was telling the truth. This was not her phone, nor was it the other back up phone. It was a completely different phone with a cracked screen. I have no idea where she had gotten it. When I asked her she simply said someone at school.

She is in a fair amount of trouble at this point obviously.

When I got home from work the next day the husband informed me that she told him she got it off the charging station at school. That it hadn't been given to her by anyone. That she had simply passed by the station, seen it charging, and taken it.

Meaning, she stole the phone. 

I was completely dumbfounded. She doesn't care that she took something from someone else. When I asked how she would feel if that had been her phone she said she wouldn't have cared. I think we all know that's not true at all.

I thought about calling the police and reporting her. I didn't know what the consequences would be, or if they would even do anything. But what I did know, was that I could not continue to threaten her with no phone/tv/fun. That something had to give.

Instead of the police, I got on facebook and messaged the school. I told them what had happened and that I have no way of knowing when she actually took the phone (she said first she had it for a week, then she said that she got the last day of school). Since there is no SIM card in it, there's really no way of identifying who it belongs to. Unless the school caught it on camera...which they are supposed to be checking on today. So I guess we shall see.

I don't know if there will be actual consequences for her actions through the school or not. It's summer. I'm not sure if they would get the police involved, if the family the phone belongs to would get involved. I have no idea of anything. What I do know, is that this path she is on can not continue. She is heading towards prison at this rate...all because she believes she should be able to do as she pleases and no one should ever tell her no.

I'm not sure what else to do. She's sixteen years old. If she doesn't know enough not to steal by now, chances are she will never learn.

I feel like a failure as a mother. My boys don't steal. Why does she? We provide for them in any way possible. Why does she feel so damn entitled to everything? Maybe that was our mistake. We helped her too much. Then again, Gaige is fifteen and does not steal. He got the same amount of help as she did.

I just don't know anymore.

I also found more pictures on this phone. No matter how many times we tell her that's dangerous, not only for her but for her brother, she doesn't care. She sends these pictures online to random guys. I just don't know what to do.


-Kristin

0 comments:

Post a Comment