June 11, 2018

{She Just Keeps Sending THOSE pictures!}

Dawn: If you guys would stop grounding me, then I wouldn't be in trouble all the time!

Me: If you would stop doing things you know are going to get you in trouble, you'd stop getting grounded.

This is what I'm dealing with today folks.

I feel like all I do lately is complain about Dawn. But the girl is going through this stage where she thinks she knows everything, and she doesn't know shit about shit.

It's a tough faze to be in. I get it. I was there myself. I watched my siblings be in it. Gaige is also currently going through it.

The difference between me going through it and Dawn going through it now, however, is that I did not find random guys on the internet to send naked pictures to. Not. One.

Oh, you're probably thinking you've already this post at this point. That I've already told this story. That's because I basically have. Twice.

In November I caught her with a phone she wasn't supposed to have, she swears she got it from a friend at school but she couldn't remember this friends name. Then just a week or two ago, I found her with a phone she said she got from the charging station at school. You can watch that story here.

Today, she was caught with Gaiges tablet. Since he has a phone he hardly ever uses the tablet. I kind of figured it was dying a slow death in a corner somewhere. Apparently, she went through his room and found it. And she has had it for exactly two days.

When I caught her with it, I asked her why she keeps doing stuff like this. She claims it's because she wants more freedom, but we never give her any. When I informed her that we don't trust her after her recent actions, and that's why she has no freedom, she says that she won't stop doing what she wants until we just let up and let her do what she wants.

Honestly it went around like that for a good 10 minutes before I told her she could forget about having any kind of freedom until she knocked her crap off. I'm not having some pervert snatch her or her brother because she can't stop texting naked pictures of herself to random guys on the internet.

She doesn't seem to comprehend that parenting works this way. We don't let you do whatever you want because we're trying to make you into a decent human being. We don't want you become a stripper or live in a crack house with 6 kids. We want you to make something of yourself. So we give you consequences for your actions. If you keep doing the same things over and over, you get the same consequences.

Apparently I'm controlling. I might be. Actually, I am. I'm going to admit that right now. But I'm also a mother. And I know that the road she's on is not a safe one or a good one or a fun one. I know it's going to lead to a lot of stuff she isn't going to like. And until she's 18, it's my job to at least attempt to teach her how to make the right decisions on her own.

I'm clearly failing miserably.

She hates me.

I'm fine with that. As long as I know she's not being kidnapped. She can hate me until she's paying bills in her own apartment, doing whatever she wants.

Because I'm her mother.


-Kristin

0 comments:

Post a Comment