August 14, 2017

{We Saw Naked Mole Rats!}

I have been wanting to get to St. Louis to the zoo all summer. Originally my little sister and I were going to take my nephew and Owen, but then she got a new job (woohoo!) and was having trouble carving out the time. So last weekend D said that he would go with me and we would take our three heathens.


So that's what we did today. Instead of getting a hotel room like we did the last time we took a trip to St. Louis, we just went for the day. Which meant getting up at an ungodly hour and getting on the road.

Surprisingly enough, it wasn't an awful drive. Before we left town we hit Hardee's for breakfast for everyone but Owen, who wanted Dunkin Donuts. The two and a half hour drive wasn't a bad one. We didn't hit traffic until we got to St. Louis, but even that wasn't bad.

We paid to park in the parking deck ($15) because we didn't want to worry about our car being broken into or someone hitting it while not paying attention to where they're going. It was just easier too.

Admission to the zoo is free, but there are certain extras that you can pay to do. We chose to get the wrist band so that we didn't have to worry about getting tickets and standing in line and all that jazz.

The first thing we did walking into the zoo was head to the sea lion show. Owen was pretty excited about the whole experience. He had never seen anything like it. The zoo we usually go to used to have sea lion shows but they got rid of them a while ago (but the price of admission sure hasn't gone down). We got there early enough to get a good seat down front and had a great view!


After the sea lion show we ventured out into the zoo where we got ourselves a little ice cream snack.


 Next we just wandered around the zoo hopping from exhibit to exhibit. Seeing a ton of animals we don't have at the zoo here.



 You can't really see him too well, but there's a big gorilla right there leaning against the wall. He was having none of it lol.

 Sing it with me folks I want a hippopotamus for Christmas...only a hippopotamus will doooo
Baby elephants totally made my day! lol 

 Naked mole rats. Definitely not anything like the one on Kim Possible


Can we talk about that last picture for a second? Gaige is almost six feet tall. How is that even possible? I can't believe he has grown so much over the last few years. I know that every mom on earth says this, but it feels like just yesterday he was a little boy. Running around after my grandpa and asking me to sing "his song" to get him to go to sleep (Kid Rock and Cheryl Crow- Picture was his song by the way. I know. So random.)

After walking around the park for a few hours, which surprised us since it only takes about thirty minutes to walk through the zoo here, we headed home.

Of course I wouldn't know anything about the drive home because I was knocked out by the time we got on the high way. I didn't even know I was that tired until I felt the air conditioner.

The kids were also out for the count on our three hour drive home. Even though Dawn always vehemently denies being able to sleep in the car.

I think it was a good time though. It wasn't a big trip or anything, but not every trip we take needs to be Disney World (I mean...I'd love that but it's not likely lol).

-Kristin

0 comments:

Post a Comment