November 17, 2013

{1 Devastating Day in November}

Today started out like any other Sunday. I woke up around 7am and said eff that I'm going to take advantage of all 3 kids being gone and sleep in. And that's what I did. I woke up again at 1030. I got up and got in the tub.
As I was sitting in the tub watching some beauty videos on YouTube when the weather alert went off and said (in a nut shell) "get your ass up and take cover". Now I think we all need to remember its IL and I am used to thunder storms and weird weather and even tornado watches/warnings. None of this is new or scary for me. So I took my time. Then the sirens went off. The sirens don't go off for non reason so I got out of the tub and slipped into some sweats and my hoodie and walked out the front door to see what was going on. I looked to my right and was confused to see blue skies. To my left was the reason for the siren. The sky was dark and the clouds were huge, and scary looking.

I am terrified of tornadoes. I don't know why, I have never been affected by one. I guess its because I can't be sure when one is going to pop up and suck me out of my house. They come on so fast most of the time.
D was across the street taking video of this whole thing with his phone. *sigh* So we along with the neighbors to our left and across the street watching the sky and waiting for the funnel cloud that we were watching form to touch down. And it did. A few blocks up.
Not only did it rip off the roof of an apartment building, rip out a 200yr old tree and lay it across a road, and up root another tree and lay it across another road, but it also did tons of little damage to fences etc. We thought that was crazy.

And then I finally got a hold of my grandmother she told me the town about 30min from me, was all but leveled. Yeah. For pics of that devisation click here.
I am just completely wrapped up in the news right now. And it is awful to watch. And its scary to think that so many people went to church this morning and came home to their house gone. Its also scary to think that the whole thing missed us by 3 blocks.
The surrounding towns are pretty much all without power also and of course parts of our town. Its just crazy.
If you live in central IL were you affected by the storm?

0 comments:

Post a Comment