September 18, 2017

{My First Attempt at Doughnuts!}

When I was little I remember my grandma frying up doughnuts for us once in a while. We all thought it was crazy that she could make her own doughnuts and they always tasted good! So the other night when I got a craving for baking and doughnuts, I went in search of a recipe.

Of course I checked Pinterest first (isn't that everyone's first stop nowadays?) and of course I found one I thought I could work with. But upon inspecting my kitchen for the yeast I bought to make Owen some Subway bread (that I never got around to doing), I found that someone had either thrown it out or decided it did not belong in my baking cabinet or on my pantry shelf where I had put it. So I had to forgo that recipe and went in search of one that didn't use yeast.


I'm sorry to say, I should have just waited and made them with yeast next weekend when I could some yeast.

This is the recipe I used.
credit: sugarspunrun

As you can see from the picture, the recipe was for doughnut holes, I don't like those lol. So I figured I'd just roll them out and use my doughnut cutter with them. What could possibly be different right? So wrong Kristin. So wrong.

For starters, the flavor of the recipe was all in the sugar and cinnamon that you are supposed to roll the holes in. I didn't even think to add any flavoring to the dough as I was mixing, big mistake kids.

They rolled out just fine, fried up fine too. In all reality, my first attempt at making doughnuts on my own (without my grandma's help) went well! I'll be doing it again, just finding a different recipe. I'm sure if I had made holes they would have been amazing!


See? They turned out OK!

For the chocolate I just melted some Nestle chocolate chips with some milk and butter. Then I dipped them in and let them sit over night. They hardened up a little bit but nothing horrible. They were just like store bought chocolate doughnuts.

I think next time I'm going to use a recipe that does have yeast, and see how that works out.

Does anyone have a great doughnut recipe I can try out?

-Kristin

0 comments:

Post a Comment