November 2, 2018

{If It Wasn't For a Woman...}

When Owen was just a little guy he asked me the strangest question. He said mommy, what are these? and pointed to his shoulder blades.

I told him that's where your wings used to be, when you were in heaven.

You can imagine how confused this made him. Since he knew that to go to heaven you had to die first obviously. So, I explained, before you were in my tummy, you were a little angel in heaven. You would sit on clouds and fly around and you were searching for a mommy. That's where you found me, you saw me and decided you wanted me to be your mommy. 

He was satisfied with this. And to this day, my now eleven year old, will tell you that his shoulder blades, are in fact, his wings.

I believe this. Call me crazy if you wish, but I believe without a doubt we choose our parents. For whatever reason, maybe because we know they'll love us, maybe because the hardships we will go through with them will make us someone great, or maybe it's so that we can be with someone that's in their life.

I believe I chose my mom because I knew I'd ultimately get my grandmother as a grandmother.

My grandma, me, my grandpa, and my one of my brothers.

I learned absolutely everything I know about being a wife and mother from this woman. She taught me how to be a lady, though I don't practice this art too often these days lol. 

She taught me how to be selfless. How to help others. That giving is always better than receiving.

She taught me how to cook and how clean glass without leaving streaks. She took me to my very first concert (New Kids on the Block) and bought me my very first bike.

I without a doubt know that I would not be the woman/mother/wife that I am today had I not had her to show me the way.

She made every holiday special. Not just the big ones like Christmas but also the smaller ones that you don't really celebrate or decorate for.

She put up with my teenage years...and obviously didn't kill me though I'm positive sometimes she wanted to.

She listens to me complain whenever I need to and she's always been quick to come to my defense when someone is talking shit.

There are so many things that she has done through out my life to help me to be the person I am today.

And I'm so thankful for her!



-Kristin

0 comments:

Post a Comment