April 8, 2019

{Our Journey to The House on the Rock | His Mine 'N Ours}

I absolutely love impromptu road trips! There was little no planning and I didn't need to pack anything. We just decided on a Wednesday that we wanted to go to the House on the Rock in WI and on a Saturday, we headed out of the house and went!

I absolutely adore making memories with my kids like that. Memories that I made with my grandparents when I was about their age. Memories they will hold on to long after I'm gone. Things that will stick out enough to them that they take their kids to these places.

Lord knows I thought these trips were special enough that I wanted to recreate them for my kids.

So if you want to see our journey to the House on the Rock, keep reading!



Dave looked at me one day last week and said I was thinking we might take a trip to the house on the rock this weekend. Now, I have been trying to get him up there for years. He refused to go. I think he thought I was crazy. So I'd like to thank the show American God's for peeking his interest and being the push he needed to get him to agree to finally go!

As I said before, I went with my grandparents when I was a teenager. Probably younger than Gaige. Probably on our way to some other destination. My grandma was always good about making sure we hit several things along the way. Or maybe it was my grandpa. I honestly have no idea. Either way, The House on the Rock was a memorable experience for us and one we still talk about to this day. Any of my siblings could still tell you what their favorite part of the attraction was. My grandmother will tell you the Gate House was her least favorite part, but that she enjoyed the attraction.

So we loaded up the boys and made the three hour drive to Wisconsin!


Owen was completely confused by how this was an infinity room. It hangs out over the edge of a cliff and as you're standing there looking out the windows, you can feel it sway in the wind. It's pretty remarkable actually.

There are so many rooms through out this attraction that I can't possibly post pictures of every single room. But I can go through the ones I did take and give you a glimpse of the awesomeness that is this place.



The whale room is definitely my favorite and also least favorite part of the house. The shear size of the whale and octopus that is attacking the whale is breath taking. Then again, seeing the barnacles on the whale freaks me out and makes my skin crawl.



The detail that went into these statues is unbelievable. Right down to walking past their eyes and having your skin crawl. It freaks me out. But I love it too!





My 2nd favorite exhibit is the doll house room! For those that don't know, I have always been a lover of doll houses. Especially the ones you have to put together piece by piece yourself. Right down to cutting the boards for the floors and gluing them in place. My grandmother actually made me one when I was probably 12 or 13. I loved it. I sold it a few years ago. Mainly because I didn't have anywhere to display it. But I love that thing.

There are probably 100 doll houses in this exhibit. All kinds and shapes and sizes. Some with dolls in them, all of them with furniture. Some you can see in and see the furniture, others you can't. It's unique and fun to walk through and look at each house. Some are showing their wear. Some were even falling apart. But I do still love the whole exhibit.





The exhibit that Dave went to see was the carousel room. It did not disappoint. I love it also. It's huge and once upon a time you could ride it, not so much anymore. But it doesn't make it any less amazing. If memory serves it's the largest indoor carousel in the country! Amazing right?

These pictures aren't even close to the amount of the rooms we encountered while walking through this attraction. There was a different surprise around every corner.

To see more of our adventure, head over to the vlog and check out my video! You won't be disappointed!

Thanks for reading!

-Kristin

0 comments:

Post a Comment